I’m a lazy baker. I love fresh-baked treats, but hate the mess and hassle of pulling out a ton of ingredients, measuring spoons and cups and the like to get a quick pasty fix. To make it through life, I depend on cake mixes… a lot.
I developed this recipe for Easy Rocky Road Cookies while preparing for Thanksgiving and my Gilmore Girls viewing party. Because I will have both a nut allergy and an egg allergy at Thanksgiving, I developed and made this recipe egg- and nut-free, but have provided options for adding both if you are so inclined.
- 1 chocolate cake mix of your choosing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 2 eggs)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (add less if you like more cookie than add-ins)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (add less if you like more cookie than add-ins)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick cookie sheets).
- In large bowl, mix together cake mix, applesauce (or eggs) and oil until blended. I don’t bother bringing out the mixer for this, but if you already have it handy, mix on low until everything is blended.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet approximately 3 inches apart. Try to tuck any marshmallows into the cookie so that they don’t ooze all over the cookie sheet. (This dough can be sticky. If you find it too difficult to work with, stick it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.)
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes. They can be tough to gauge because you won’t be able to see them turning golden brown. I recommend a touch test to see their consistency 9 minutes into cooking. They should be soft too the touch but not mushy in the center. Once removed, cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet and allow them to finish cooling on a baking rack… or just put them on a plate and eat them if you are so inclined.
- To freeze: Cool cookies completely and lay flat in an airtight container. Separate layers of cookies with freezer paper or wax paper.
If you are a Gilmore Girls fan, these cookies were Sookie’s specialty at the Independence Inn and Dean’s favorite treat Rory would bring him in season 1. If you are reading this and aren’t a Gimore Girls fan, trust me when I tell you that I’m not a total lunatic, and you will just really enjoy these cookies!